Monday, 26 October 2009

El Marmoté's last stand

Long he rode the verdant land,
The noble bandit, with his band,
Arrogant flowers were his prey,
The rodent hero, El Marmoté,

When the gardeners came to toil,
He lurked beneath them, in the soil,
We haven't seen him yet they'd say,
the brown-faced one, El Marmoté,

Oh so glorious was his reign,
He freely roamed the sunny plain,
Without check, until the day,
The law came for, El Marmoté,

To the last, defiant and brave,
He stood his ground upon his grave,
And met his end, so now we pray,
For the soul of, El Marmoté.


Yes that's right, I've written an awful poem about a marmot. It seems that my favourite, and certainly least offensive neighbour, has met his demise. His burrow has been filled with dirt and some bricks. What a terrible thing is war.

Slightly concerned about the brown-faced bit. Does it qualify as a hate crime? I didn't mean it that way, but now the BNP have been allowed on the BBC my mind has almost certainly been affected, because I'm a simpleton who thinks everything is dignified by being on tv. Paris Hilton for example.

Apparently the problem with the BNP is that they are too poor and working class to afford a 'moral compass', whatever that is. Maybe the other parties should band together and get them one for Christmas. Considering that Question Time's core audience are the elite and educated who like to sit through a tedious political discussion program on a Thursday night, rather than the BNP's orthogonal core demographic of the disaffected with low income who like to go out on a Thursday night, I'm not sure why the appearance should lead to more racism. I would prefer it if the program hadn't gone out though - there's not much more disgusting than hearing one politician refer to another as 'thoroughly deceptive', probably enviously.

4 comments:

  1. I think it needs another verse about the battle... otherwise I give it an A*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, poor ickle marmot! And here was me thinking you were a heartless bastard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it hard to lend the correct gravity to a battle between what is essentially a squirrel too fat to climb trees and an ape, that is also too fat to climb trees.

    The happy smiling people here have made my heart grow so much that it is practically a cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to say it, but I had to look up what a marmot was. You're deranged...and clearly rather brilliant. I love that Wodehousian ending to your post.

    ReplyDelete