Powered by the knowledge that I have to give a talk in two weeks time, I've been more productive this week than I have for, well quite a long time really. I almost feel as competent as I did when I was an undergraduate (which wasn't very). But is being motivated by fear any kind of way to live a life? Of course it is. It is sensible, realistic and honest. I quite like it.
I've noticed that with the unnatural and depraved birth of 'social' websites the amount of data dedicated to pictures of drunk people has increased exponentially. Soon it will come to rival the amount of data dedicated to pictures of naked people, and what will that say about society? It is especially worrying as some of the pictures of drunk people include me and may show me in bad light. I don't believe any of the pictures of naked people include me, but I haven't checked them all yet.
As I still haven't had time to write anything clever I'll just leave you with some things I've overheard while scurrying through the dark unseen places under floors and in hollow walls, along gutters and deep in storm drains, avoiding the notice of the great and the good.
In a coffee shop:
"Yeah it's really hard, sometimes I have to do reading for arts and crafts and it takes me, like, two whole days."
Outside a church:
"Well we could do dinner and hair tonight, would you like that?"
You're quite right. Being motivated by fear is perfectly sensible.
ReplyDeleteI often worry that I don't motivate myself and get depressed that whilst I quite like the idea of fame and admiration and being able to speak mandarin I mostly want not to be in trouble or in the way and to be able to buy beer and food and a roof and electricity.
God I love electricity. Have you ever put a 9 volt battery on your tongue?
ReplyDeletenot for some time..... I'll miss that come the acropolis... best go buy a battery.
ReplyDeleteArts and crafts = Arts and Sciences duh. Dumbass.
ReplyDeleteYou have ruined everything.
ReplyDeleteBy crying. Again.
ReplyDelete